Guru Nanak Jayanti Knowing 10 Interesting Things Related to Guru Nanak Dev Ji
On the day of Kartik Purnima, Guru Nanak Jayanti is celebrated. Guru Nanak’s birthday is also celebrated as a light festival. Guru Nanak Dev Ji is the first guru of the Sikhs.
Guru Nanak Jayanti or Kartik Purnima is celebrated with great enthusiasm throughout the country. On the day of Kartik Purnima Guru Nanak Dev Ji was born and due to this since 1526 it is also celebrated as Guru Nanak Jayanti. This day is also known as Prakash parv. According to some other scholars’ beliefs, Guru Nanak’s Birth date was on April 15, 1469. Guru Nanak Ji was born in Khatrikul village Talwandi which is situated on the banks of the Ravi river. Guru Nanak is the first Guru and the founder of Sikhism.
Guru Nanak Dev Ji was a man of pure soul and had personality full of qualities such as philosopher, yogi, householder, reformer, social reformer, poet, patriot and universal leader. Nanak Dev as he was better called had done many things to eliminate the evils which are spread all over the society.
10 Interesting Things Related to Guru Nanak
- The celebration of Guru Nanak Ji birthday is considered to begin from 1526 on the day of Kartik Purnima. Guru Nanak Dev was born in Khtarikul Village Talwandi which is situated on the banks of the river Ravi. The name of the village Talwandi was later changed to Nanak.
- The name of Guru Nanak Dev’s father was Mehta Kalu and mother were Trupta Devi while the name of Nanak Dev Ji sister was Nanaki.
- Since childhood, he used to remain indifferent from worldly subjects and after that he began spreading spiritual thoughts and Satsang throughout his life.
- He was considered a person with divine characteristics right from his childhood by the villagers who saw many miraculous incidents before their eyes.
- Since childhood Guru Nanak Ji started a struggle against injustice and stereotypes and urged people to stay away from fanaticism.
- In 1487 Guru Nanak was married to a lady named Sulkhani and he had two sons whose name was Shrichand and Lakshmichand.
- According to Guru Nanak Dev Ji, God is one and he is similar for any religions.
- Nanak is considered as one of the greatest saints according to him there is no greater deed or deal than feeding the hungry.
- Guru Nanak Dev Ji said that God dwells in the heart of man and if there is cruelty, hatred, condemnation, and anger then in that heart, God cannot be ready to sit.
- During the last stages of his life, Guru Nanak stayed in Kartarpur and his soul left his body on 25th September 1539.